Pumpkin Apple Butter
Let's take apple butter up a notch.
We know that Apple butter is made by slowly cooking pureed apples for over an hour. The sugars in the apples caramelize as the puree cooks, giving the apple butter its rich, sweet flavor and dark color. With the added complexity and flavour of pumpkin, really dials up the flavour profile to transport you to autumn.
In contrast to what the name implies, there is no "butter" in apple butter. The name comes from its smooth and buttery texture. Apple butter is delicious on buttered toast.
What do I do with Apple Butter?
- Spread it on toast
- Stir it into oatmeal
- Top your pancakes and waffles with it
- Use it instead of pumpkin or applesauce in recipes
- Set out a bowl with a cheese plate
- Swirl it into cakes or cupcakes
- Brush it on chicken or pork during the last few cooking minutes
- Lightly brush on pork side or back ribs near the end of it's cook or smoke - to enhance flavour